Wednesday, September 12, 2012

JAVA Week 2.5

The main concepts of week 2 were declaring variables, assignment statements, operators, and output.  Very simple, basic, functions.  These concepts were really easy to understand when we were doing text only sample programs on the board - I totally felt like I understood everything.  So, I was really frustrated when I was struggling to apply them to our Homework assignment with the Finch.
In the examples the professor does on the board, the programs are made up, so, the programs do whatever he says they can do.  The Finch has a library, so it can only do what  the library says.  Also, there were a few key statements necessary to control the Finch, that weren't discussed in the examples on the board. One of them in particular was the "scan.nextInt" command. 

It was very difficult for ME to go from writing a text program that figures sales tax to telling the Finch to get information from it's sensors and then move it's wheels based on that information.  I know the text examples were supposed to easily and gently introduce us to Java syntax, but...... It confused me to have meaningless programs explained verbally on a whiteboard and then make me try to figure out how to apply those concepts in a platform I have never seen, using a "library" that I didn't truly understand.  I think that I would have caught on quicker if he had started off writing Finch programs in NetBeans and let us follow along.   

I finally got it today. (I think)  Now, looking back at the homework problems, I see how easy they are.  I see how the professor tried to make it easy and spell out exactly what he wanted us to do, even giving us hints on how to make the program work.  I am actually excited now to start the Week 3 homework to see if I really do understand it!   I am so glad we are using the Finch and I am glad that this class is going to be challenging.  






No comments:

Post a Comment