Friday, September 14, 2012

JAVA Week 3

I think it's safe to say I am official nerd now.  I am working on my Java homework on a Friday evening, because I want to. Yay Nerds. This week we are working on conditionals.... "if" and "else" statements.  The flowcharts came to me very quickly and easily this time.  The first problem was to write a program that has the user hold the Finch in one of four positions and the Finch tells his position.  I started out trying to get one if statement to work, before I put the other four in the program.  That was a good idea, because my first one wouldn't work.   After spending an hour looking over my notes and the professor's notes and even watching a  NetBeans tutorial, I was finally reminded about the "no semi colon after an if" rule.  


 

After I fixed that, it was smooth sailing and everything worked beautifully.  A little while later, my mom stopped in and was intrigued by the Finch and really wanted to see what I wrote for it.  I ran the program in NetBeans, so (as some of you know) all the text is printed out in a little window at the bottom of the screen - which confused her right off the bat.  After we got past the lame interface issue, we successfully ran the program and she said, "Is that all it does?"  I replied, "Yeah, it tells you which way it is facing."  She laughed and said, "Well who the hell cares about that?"  All she really cared about was whether or not I could fix the Java Updater error she was getting on her desktop.
Beginner programmers get no love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment