Sunday, September 2, 2012

JAVA Week One


It is only my first week of school and I love my CS classes already.  The Professor for my Java programming class is using the Finch Robot instead of a text book.  I am actually surprised that any computer science teacher would use a textbook.  I took CAD for 2 years and I don't remember opening a textbook ever.  The Professor would work on her computer and we would follow along.  Then we would get a sheet of dimensions and draw on our own.  I guess the difference is, architecture is objects and programming is mostly text.  Also, teaching how to USE a program must be different than teaching how to CREATE a program.  I think the Finch will be way more fun to practice programming - instead of just running text programs in that dreary Net Beans.

I have a feeling everyone says this, but I think it's not the actual "programming" that interests me.  All this Java, language, detailed, syntax crap kind of makes me feel bored.  I feel like I can look at a list of Java syntax and memorize what it's function is.  Yay Syntax.  Not me - it's those algorithms that fascinate me.  I can't believe how much I struggled with the extremely simple problem solving exercises we did in class Wednesday - but it was SO fun!  That's what I want to do! I want to help people come up with amazing programs that will make their organizations function more efficiently.  I want to design the program and the applications and organize the information and make it all look pretty and be really easy to use.  Somehow, I have the feeling that the same job everyone else wants too.  :)

I'll post a picture of my finch on my blog next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment