Tuesday, August 27, 2013

{Women in Technology} Thoughts #1

Over the last year, a few people have asked if I was worried about going into this “male dominated” field and I really didn't understand what they were talking about.  I spent the last 8 years working in the construction industry, which was a male dominated industry, so I have no fear of finding my place in the programming world.  I have read articles about women in tech being treated negatively, naming discrimination as the cause, but I'm kind of oblivious to things like that.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I work pretty hard to know my stuff and I NEVER pretend to know stuff I don't.  I also enjoy helping other people feel good about themselves, so typically my coworkers and bosses love me and treat me kindly because they appreciate my help.  

Over the summer, I attended Codestock (which was AWESOME) here in Knoxville.  At the conference, I never received any negative comments about being a female programming student. The conversations I had at the “after party” were a little more interesting… alcohol is great for that.  So, I will share a couple of the conversations I found amusing.

Before the party started, Rachel and I were sitting at the bar talking to a couple guys.  When she told them she was a programmer, one of them asked, “So, where do you  work? Jewelry Television?”
She laughed and I thought it was a little strange that they would try to guess where she was working.  I can’t remember ever guessing what company a person worked at when they told me their field.

Downstairs, I was asked a few times if I was a recruiter… which I also found strange.  Later, I was informed that could be taken as a compliment, because "usually the only pretty girls at a coding conference are the recruiters". I can see how maybe a veteran female programmer might get upset about being asked if she was a recruiter, but not me!  I chose to take that as a compliment... because I love compliments. :)

I did have one awkward conversation with a guy, which left me slightly offended.  I don’t get offended easily… but he said to me, “You will never get a job wearing stuff like that”.  (The dress I wore is at the cleaners, or else I would post a picture of it here)
I thought to myself, "Ummm, excuse me… but this is BCBG I’m wearing!"  I mean, it’s not Versace, but this is Knoxville.  He went on to enlighten me on what I "needed to wear if I wanted to be taken seriously" (which he described as cargo pants and a long sleeve tshirt).  He suggested that I look up the women CEO types of Facebook and Yahoo to see the "appropriate" way to dress.  So, I did as soon as I got home!  



I was relieved to see these famous women in tech looking fashionable in their cute dresses and stilettos.  Just for the record, you will never see me show up to work in cargo pants.... well, actually I have a pair of white cargo pants from Guess that scrunch up on the sides with little ties.  I would totally wear them if they still fit me.

So, guys, please... Rule #1: Don't give girls fashion advice - especially if we don't ask.

I'm happy to say that my experience meeting people in the industry has been positive so far.  Everyone at Codestock was super nice and I can't wait to go again next year!   I hope to make another Codestock post with useful information... like all the links to the cool sessions I took.  But school is starting this week, so I'm not making any promises.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment